Friday, February 25, 2011

The Rodeo is here!!!!!


Today is Go-Texan day in the city of Houston!  Today officially starts the rodeo season in this town.  If you don't live here -- basically you are missing out!!!!  This season is so much fun.

The BBQ Cook Off started yesterday and those are the funnest.  There are hundreds of tents that require invitations to get in. You can't just walk in one, you need credentials!  I was invited to go to one but I had sick babies at home and was responsible and didn't go!  If you've never gone, you must.  These tents have free food and free alcohol ALL NIGHT LONG!!!! It's freaking awesome. I haven't been in a few years but I've never had a bad time.

The actual rodeo starts Tuesday.  I'm going with Jill on Monday, March 7 to see Tim McGraw! I've never seen him in concert and I am super excited! Thanks Jilly Bean for inviting....actually I think I invited myself so thanks for not saying "no you can't go with me!" LOL!!!

The Rodeo is lots of fun...and if you don't like anything about horses or cows, there are still lots to eat! I swear you can gain 25 lbs in one day there.  They have all sorts of stuff from burgers, turkey legs, jumbo corndogs, funnel cakes, fried twinkies, baked potato stuffed with whatever the hell you want, ice cream, cotton candy, candy apples, cheese fries, fresh lemonade, beer, sausage-on-a-stick....see, I just gained 10 lbs writing that!!!!!!!!!!!!  And that's not even close to everything they sell.   Look at some of these stands!










Oh and then there's a carnival too!!! But don't go on the rides after you eat all that food. That's good for no one.  ANYWAY...The carnival is BIG -- this isn't your grandma's carnival or the kind they have in grocery store parking lots.  They have GOOD rides and they don't look like they will fall apart. :)



I can't wait for Sofia to get older so I can take her.  There is lots to do -- but take lots o' cash because you will need it!  And you might die afterwards from a heart attack -- but at least it will be worth it and your tummy will be full of yummy food!!!! And this comes once a year so you have to indulge -- you aren't a real Houstonian if you don't. I said. :)

Oh and I should have mentioned that this event isn't just to fatten people up and get people drunk -- the money actually goes to a good cause!  Lots of kids have gone to college because of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.  Read this stat:
Since its beginning in 1932, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo has committed more than $265 million to scholarships, research, endowments, calf scramble participants, junior show exhibitors, the Rodeo Institute for Teacher Excellence™, School Art participants, and other educational and youth programs. Of that total, the Show has committed more than $152 million in direct educational program support, since the first scholarship was awarded in 1957.


Pretty impressive huh? So go out and support those kids! :)  Here's to rodeo season 2011!

No comments:

Post a Comment