Tuesday, April 30, 2013

What year is this?

I read an article today that made my stomach hurt in disgust.  This sometimes happens when I read awful stories of murder, rape, etc.  This one was a lot different.  It's an article I read that talked about segregated proms in Georgia.  I thought that was a joke...maybe it written 60 years ago.  But the pictures of the seniors in the article were very much modern.  So I began to read it and the disgust grew bigger.  In Wilcox County, Georgia, there is a high school that has two proms.  One prom for the white kids and the other for the black kids.  WHAT THE FUCK AMERICA!??!?! WHY??? Why is this necessary???  This makes my blood boil.  For the last 40 years, it has been this.  Which means way after segregated schools were outlawed...and this is STILL happening??

The story has a sort of happy ending....a group of seniors gathered together and created a "normal" prom for all of the kids.  There were even interracial couples that attended.  But even though there was this "normal" prom, the ALL white prom was still held.  AGAIN....WHY?!?!?!?!

As a minority myself, this is undeniably the worst thing ever. Being born in the 80s, I've never had to live through segregation. I can't even imagine what that's like. But to know that it's still happening in 2013 is preposterous   How is this ok?  How are people still so ignorant!??!  The excuse they use is that the kids can't agree on whether to listen to Country music or rap music...ummm...how about you play both??  How about WHO CARES?!?  The more I think about this, the angrier I get.  We have a BLACK President for God's sake!!!!  And if anyone remembers, it's 2013!  Gay people can marry each other. Women can vote! Women even have jobs!
 *sigh*

At least some of these kids that are being raised in this sheltered town of Wilcox County are realizing that this is NOT ok.  It only takes a few to make big changes. I hope that one day there is only ONE prom.  Until them...WHAT THE FUCK? :)

I'm really not making this up. Check out the article:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/30/living/wilcox-integrated-prom/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment